Partner, Head of International & Strategy
Adam Piwakowski takes a multi-faceted role acting as a bridge between English speaking foreign markets and the Polish legal jurisdiction, whether by assisting a new investor to take its first steps into the Polish market, working on cross border transactions, helping Polish companies access foreign markets as well as general business development.
In his unique role and with his wider view of the global legal market, Adam is a key strategist with respect to the development and growth of the firm, and is a driving force behind its innovative approach, with an impetus on bringing a new and modern way of thinking to the Polish legal market.
His legal background is firmly rooted in insurance law and general commercial litigation having practiced in the UK, both in-house and at leading law firms for 10 years, providing general insurance and reinsurance advice, policy and compliance advice and assisting in large value dispute resolution, including property and professional lines.
Education: LL.B Hons (Bachelor of Law) – University of Greenwich, College of Law (London), CII Certificate in Insurance
- Representing P&O Ferries in contract and policy negotiations including the drafting of bespoke clauses and policy wording.
- Representing Oriental Ocean Shipping as the defendant in a claim brought for the MV Sea Empress oil spill off the southwest coast of Wales.
- Represented insurers of cargo vessels in claims against shippers for damage to vessel and cargo caused by improper stowage of hazardous cargo.
- Represented owners and insurers of container vessels in claims against shipyards for defective repairs.
- Represented insurers of an automated underwater vehicle in a salvage dispute concerning the extent of damage caused by collision.
- Represented subrogated insurers of a mega-yacht in a recovery action against a shipyard following total loss of the yacht by fire while undergoing refit.
- Representation of the claimants with regards a catastrophic air disaster operated by Kenya Airways in 2000 in a multi-million pound claim.
- Representation of Channel Express in a claim brought regarding a catastrophic air disaster.
- Representation of Thai Airways in regards to a claim concerning a multi-million catastrophic air disaster.
- Representation of both claimants and operators in a number of light aircraft disasters.
- Representation of the claimants in a multi-million pound claim with regards the catastrophic Hatfield rail disaster.
- Representation of Thames Water in a number of high-value property damage claims including damage resulting from flooding, burst water pipes, etc.
- Representation of leading insurers and various property owners in policy negotiations and claims concerning high value damage to commercial buildings.
- Advice to the leading US toy manufacturing company, Mattel Inc., with respect to liability for faults to a product line.
- Advice to the UK’s largest bakery chain Greggs PLC in respect to a landmark product liability case.
Personal Injury and Medical Negligence:
- Consultancy to a top 10 UK motor and home insurer, auditing and providing advice which resulted in a saving of in excess of GBP 100 million to the company per annum.
- Advice in a number of high value technical, motor and personal injury claims, acting for both claimant and defendant.
- Advice in a landmark precedential case concerning a motorcycle injury resulting in paraplegia and setting new standards for the assessment of causation.
- Advising Schooner Capital, an American fund in a multi-million investment arbitration dispute against the Republic of Poland under the ICSID Additional Facilities rules and Polish-U.S. Business and Economic Relations Treaty. The dispute concerns the privatization of the Polish fat industry.
- Advising Darley Energy PLC and Honwood Services Limited with regards an investment arbitration case against the Republic of Poland for the expropriation of the Claimants' investment with respect to prospection and exploration of polyhalite deposits in the Puck region of Poland to a maximum sum of circa EUR 1.4 Billion, including with respect to litigation funding.
- Advising Work Service S.A. on the first project in Poland for the admission of shares of a company listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange, with a market capitalization exceeding PLN 800 million, to trading on the London Stock Exchange’s Main Market through depositary interests.
- Advising Redefine Properties Limited on its acquisition of a majority stake in Echo Prime Properties B.V., comprising a portfolio of 18 commercial properties (including shopping malls and office buildings) of a combined value of EUR 1.2 Billion.
- Kodeks postępowania cywilnego, C.H. Beck
- Kochański Zięba i Partnerzy: Chcemy być numerem jeden w Polsce, Rynek Prawniczy
- Inside Out: KZP Helps Echo Polska Properties Acquire Seven Office Buildings in Poland, CEE Legal Matters Magazine
- Kochanski Zieba & Partners advises Marlin Equity Partners on the acquisition of technology company Medius Poland.
- GABRIEL OLEARNIK – HEAD OF PRIVATE EQUITY PRACTICE AT KOCHAŃSKI ZIĘBA & PARTNERS
- KZP lawyers participate in a charity business running event
- New Equity Partner at Kochanski Zieba & Partners
- Kochanski Zieba & Partners advise Aberdeen Infrastructure Funds on a strategic partnership with Intertoll
- Kochanski Zieba & Partners advise GENERAC HOLDINGS INC. on the acquisition of MOTORTECH HOLDING
- KZP Among Firms Advising on EUR 1 Billion Real Estate Portfolio Deal in Poland
- Kochanski Zieba & Partners has advised Redefine Properties Limited on the largest transaction in the history of the commercial property market in Poland – the value of the transaction exceeded 1.1 bln EUR.
- Kochański Zięba & Partners to have the largest legal office in Kraków.