Marcin Huczkowski, PhD, LL.M
Legal Counselor, Senior Associate, New Technologies & Telecommunications Practice
Marcin Huczkowski specializes in intellectual property and media laws and in issues concerning protection of personal rights. He has extensive knowledge of personal data protection law, in particular, due to running a number of seminars / workshops relating to GDPR. His professional background includes legal advisory services to (i) media companies, including press and book publishers, TV and film producers and institutions of culture and (ii) IT / TMT companies, inter alia, with respect to implementation and servicing of different software / IT systems. Marcin also cooperates with M&A team in matters related to legal due diligence analysis and due diligence reporting, with respect to companies operating in media and new technologies sectors.
Languages: Polish, English.
Membership: The Cracow Bar of Legal Advisors.
Edukacja: Jagiellonian University, Faculty of Law and Administration (Doctor of Laws, 2013); Jagiellonian University, Faculty of International and Political Studies, Institute of American Studies and Polish Diaspora (Interdisciplinary doctoral studies, 2011); Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium, Faculty of Law, LL.M., Intellectual Property Law (2007); Jagiellonian University, Faculty of Law and Administration (Master of Law, 2005); Jagiellonian University, Intellectual Property Law Institute „Copyright, Editorial and Press Laws Studies”; Jagiellonian University, Faculty of Law and Administration, American Law Program in cooperation with Catholic University of Washington, Columbus School of Law (2004).
- Provided advice on issues of copyright and personal rights to media market companies, including to Fremantle Media Polska sp. z o.o. and key daily and periodical press publishers, such as Marquard Media Polska sp. z o.o. and Presspublica sp. z o.o.
- Provided advice to the Polish Book Institute in book, film and audio-book licensing negotiations for literary works, including Król Maciuś I and Król Maciuś na bezludnej wyspie.
- Provided advice to the National Audiovisual Institute on legal aspects of digitization of TVP’s archives. Advised the Institute on its culture promotion projects.
- Provided advice to Rights Agency Limited Ltd, UK’s major collective rights society, in disputes with Polish rights management societies over artists’ fees.
- Provided advice to telecommunications companies, including ACN, on telecommunications law.
- Provided comprehensive advice to Tauron Energia with respect to implementation and servicing of new AMI smart measurement system.
- Provided comprehensive advice to Solari di Udine Spa with respect to implementation and servicing of the IT system for railway movement control to be implemented on several Polish railway stations.
- Provided comprehensive advice on issues relating to transfer of intellectual property rights within the scope of the transaction relating to the intended acquisition of one of the biggest online transaction platforms in Poland.
- Provided comprehensive advice to one of the Polish banks in the area of implementation of biometric authentication system and electronic documentation workflow.
- Provided advice to one of the biggest Polish mobile phone operators in the disputes relating to advertising campaigns constituting acts of unfair competition.
- Took part in more than 80 corporate due diligence projects, with respect to intellectual property rights and IT / TMT.
- GDPR Implementation Requires Time, Warsaw Business Journal
- „Ochrona autorskich praw osobistych w powszechnym prawie międzynarodowym’", Difin 2013 (monografia)
- „Jak chronić pomysł na biznes”, PAIZ 2013
- „Kto zapłaci za złamanie praw do programu komputerowego”, Rzeczpospolita, 28 czerwiec 2011 r.
- „Za wydanie przeterminowanego leku odpowie farmaceuta”, Dziennik Gazeta Prawna, 30 marca 2011 r.
- „Extraterritorial application of competition law of the EU and the field of media and telecommunications mergers'", Miscellanea Iuris Gentium no. 12-13-14/2009-2011, Jagiellonian University Cracow